Wednesday 16 December 2015

Ha Ji Won's interview in iWeekly (English)

I translated Ha Ji Won's interview in iWeekly from Mandarin to English because it was so interesting! The first part is the journalist's introduction. Enjoy~

She is ever-changing. No matter whether incarnating as an evil lady, action female or empress, it is always convincing.
I like the her in the show who is unyielding, strong, and never bows her head.
In real life, she happens to possess similar qualities.
"I have experienced countless failures. Before debuting, I failed more than 100 auditions. When filming, I experienced many setbacks. But without these failures, I would not have achieved any success."
Success, is never accidental. Behind it is always painstaking hard work.
Last year, while promoting in the little red dot (Singapore), she went to the extent of preparing 5 outfits, changing clothes quickly during the short breaks between the marathon interviews. The reason? Only to maintain the freshness for the local media.
We have never met, but this is already the second time we have done an e-mail interview.
She remains the same as that in my impression - seriously answering with long answers. A big Korean star like her does not need to but chooses to. It is impossible to be unable to feel the brimming sincerity.

The Time I Loved You's Oh Hana is a confident, competitive workaholic who does not show her weak side in front of others. You previously said that this is the character that is closest to yourself. What similarities do you see in her?
Yes, you're right. Oh Hana is indeed the closest to me in real life. She is a competitive and confident women, but the area where we are most alike in is actually when we are relaxing at home. When she is with her friends and family, she is cute and comfortable. While filming this show, my good friends all said: "Isn't this you in real life?"

In the show, you returned to the teenage years when you were 17 years old. What do you still remember about your own high school life?
When I was studying, I was quite introverted. I was curious about everything, but also extremely quiet. I have a deeper impression towards my middle school years - in my memory, I often complained about my results to my classmates, haha.

Were you very popular in school? Did you often receive love letters?
I think I should have been pretty popular as I received love letters quite often. There were even some classmates who followed me home. My good friend often gave letters to me, saying he was helping a friend to relay them. I later found out he liked me, and the love letters were written by him.

Thinking back to those years, what do you miss most?
Youth, and the vitality and energy that I had in those years.

Do you have any regrets?
Is it off topic if I answer it like that? When I was in school, I was too obedient and innocent. I never even thought of deviating from the path of ordinary life.

As the years pass/age increases, Oh Hana starts to get worried and scared. Do you feel the same? As you enter life in the 30s, what are your worries and fears?
A director I like once said this to me: "To an actor, there is no such thing as age." I fully agree. To actors, age is not a limit, so regarding my own age, I try my best not to care.
However, for this show, I tried to put my focus on the lives of 30 year olds, and referenced some life worries that same aged friends have. Previous works were mostly either historical shows or had fantasy elements. I haven't actually had much chance to properly think of the most realistic worries of a 30 year old. As a 30 year old career woman, the largest worries are the future - marriage, career and health.

What then is the best thing about being 30 years old?
The best thing is that you can film romance stories that fit your own age. As opposed to the past, I am more relaxed at the studio. I am no longer nervous. That type of peaceful and calm feeling is wonderful.

Having experienced so many romantic love stories in your shows, is it more difficult to date and find the special person in real life?
I think it is difficult for everyone, not just me. This has nothing to do with being an actor, no matter male or female. This is a difficult life question. When filming, sometimes I really will fall in love with the character that my partner is portraying.

What kind of man tends to attract you?  In the show, sensitive and introverted warm guy Lee Jin Wook or romantic and extroverted dangerous character Yoon Kyun Sang?
Obviously, a man like Choi Won is very attractive. Who wouldn't like him? Haha.

The 3 requirements of a boyfriend are:
Handsome, humorous and decent culinary skills!

You are recognised in Korea's acting industry as an actor who is excellent at your craft. Since when did you realise that you were good at acting?
Every time I hear "Your acting has improved a lot, you can act well", I always feel flattered and a little shy. Acting is really very fun. I first felt this while filming Damo, and later I began to enjoy filming and fell in love with my job. I believe this made me who I am today.

Who gave you your biggest inspiration or some words of advice?
My mum gave me my biggest inspiration. She is like my consultant, giving me the best suggestions ever since I debuted. She is someone I can trust and depend on in times of difficulty.

Which 3 works are your key works in your acting career? Why?
Truth Game: In this movie, I worked with Korea's famous and experienced actor, Ahn Sung Ki. I learned a lot from him, including how to be a humble and good actor.
Damo: It was through this show that I realised acting action scenes could be so fun! It was also when I realised that action scenes has pivotal usage in telling the story and conveying the character's emotions.
Secret Garden: Thanks to this drama, I received great reception in not only Korea but also Asia, now even getting the chance to receive interviews from overseas media, just like the interview with iWeekly this time.

Everyone must have very high expectations of you. Is there a lot of stress? It feels like you are someone who would have very high expectations of yourself and give yourself a lot of stress. The bigger the success, are you even more fearful of failure?
Everyone's expectations will always be a heavy burden. However, if there aren't such expectations, perhaps it means that the public does not have interest in me. Regarding my choice, I never have regrets. Once I have made my decision, as an actor, I will be responsible until the end. Although I have carefully considered many areas before the project, the success or failure of the project can never be predicted, but there is definitely no actor who knows that it will be a failure and still stubbornly immerse into the project.
Once I have decided to immerse myself in a particular project, I will do my best. This is the only thing I can do as an actor.

To the world, you are a very successful actor. But to you, what is the definition of "success"? All these years, your career appears to be smooth sailing. Have you experienced any failures that the public does not know about?
I have experienced countless failures. Before debuting, I failed more than 100 auditions. When filming, I experienced many setbacks. But without these failures, I would not have achieved any success.
Now, to me "success" is the happiness of myself and the people around me, which includes my family, company, fans and the society. It is not one person standing alone at the top tasting success. I wish to share it with everyone.

It has been close to 20 years since you entered the industry in 1996. What is your biggest change? How do you think Ha Ji Won in 20 years will be like?
From debut till now, and until the future, there is 1 thing that is the same - I am an actor. Even after 20 years, I wish to continue acting. The changes in between, is only that my acting skill has improved, gaining the support of the audience. I hope that through me, the audience can meet a whole new person, experience a whole new lifestyle, so I will continue working hard to become an even better actor.