Friday 31 December 2021

Favourite 2nd gen Kpop songs

With work and studies, I have not been keeping up with Kpop very much anymore, other than random gossip from translation sites. To add on, the current generation of groups and their songs are just not it for me. They are really young, and somehow they don't quite have the spark for me anymore. The lack of live singing also severely disturbs me. Kpop had no lack of not-so-talented singers back in the day, but even they sang live!

Anyway, this year was a fantastic year for me as a 2nd gen fan, with some groups making mini reunions for variety shows like MMTG and Hangout with Yoo. Most significantly for me was the After School reunion for MMTG. Never thought I'd see the day where Kahi would be performing an AS song on stage again, and to do that with JungAh, Bekah, Jooyeon and Raina?! The ladies clearly relished the opportunity, and of course, it was a dream come true for me. Recently, Sunny Hill also appeared on Hangout With Yoo and performed Midnight Circus! 

This is just a memory trip for me, where I list my favourite songs from 2nd gen - the songs that I will never skip in shuffle mode. I like many songs because I would listen to B sides too, but this is a very very select list of those that I think are close to flawless. Of course, since performances are a huge part of Kpop, my opinion is also affected by the live performances.  

After School - Because Of You

My all time favourite song from my all time favourite group. This legendary song won them their one and only triple crown, and was one of the most popular songs in 2009/2010. While it seems that Diva is the song that is often associated with AS first, BOY was their most commercially successful song. Everything in this era was perfect - the number of members, the styling, the outfits, the dance, the song.

CN Blue - Lie

Urgh, why did Lee Jonghyun have to do what he did. He has a beautiful voice, on full display in this gem of a song. The way he hums the melody at the start is gorgeous, and the switching of Yonghwa and Jonghyun's vocals add more flavour to this amazing song. One of my all time favourite songs.  

Infinite - The Chaser

This song is considered by many to be the greatest K-Pop song of all time, and I can't say I disagree. I loved everything about this era - the outfits, the dance, their hairstyles, but my favourite is when Sunggyu and Woohyun belt out the chorus. Never gets old.  

Sunny Hill - The Grasshopper Song

So this was the song that made me come up with this list. I still remember the first time I heard the song. I was watching Music Bank on KBS and Sunny Hill made their comeback and I was thinking what an awful song. Then I went to watch the MV and heard the song with earphones (a MUST) and  was sold. The song and MV together is an EXPERIENCE. People associate Sunny Hill with Midnight Circus most, which I also love, but The Grasshopper Song edges Midnight Circus out for me because I just love the instrumentals SO much. 


Big Bang - Haru Haru 

One of the first Kpop songs I've ever heard, back in 2008/2009 when one of my friends was a huge Big Bang fan. Love the piano intro, and can't count the number of times I've watched the MV starring Park Minyoung. Oh my girl, I cry cry, you're my all, say goodbye. Oh my love, don't lie lie, you're my heart, say goodbye. A true classic. 

BEAST - Fiction

Another classic song which just got covered by a group of 4th gen idols recently. The song that solidified BEAST as a top boy group after success with Shock and Breath. The penguin dance, the MV with Park Boyoung, the scratchy sound in the intro, Junhyung's saranghae x4 rap, Yoseob's vocals. All iconic.  

Nine Muses - Wild

Namyu is one of my favourite girl groups, and they had an incredible discography, especially for a group with such an awful debut. The run from 2011 to 2013 was especially strong - Figaro, News, Dolls, Ladies, Gun, Glue. ALL JAMS. My favourite has to be Wild. Just love the song's melody so much. 


SS501 - U R Man

The song that gets banned during exam period because it's so catchy! This was actually one of the very first Kpop songs I've ever heard because I saw it on TV and was hooked. Love the vocals of SS301, the silver suits and the dance as well.

Super Junior - It's You 

One of the best SJ songs ever. A pity that they never quite returned to this style for a title track, because Sorry Sorry and Bonamana were fun but not quite the melodic tune I love. And I just hated Mr Simple haha. I also really like some of the SJ subunits songs, especially D&E. Oppa Oppa is a jam, and Growing Pains is gorgeous. 


ZE:A - All Day Long

This group is very strange because they have some really recognisable/popular membes like Hyungsik, Siwan, Dongjun and Kwanghee, but just never hit it big. I really liked their performances, but especially All Day Long. Such a gorgeous song. As you may be able to tell, I like sad sounding songs with the piano in the background haha. Shout out to Heart For 2 as well! 

DMTN - E.R. 

Whew this group had really bad luck, with the final nail in the coffin being Daniel's marijuana scandal. They started off as Dalmatian with some songs that were more bright, then underwent a member change, added Simon, bulked up, and came back with this incredible jam called E.R. Apart from the song, the live vocals were incredible as well. The follow up to this, Safety Zone, was a jam as well. And then the scandal happened and that was it. A waste. 

Infinite - Be Mine

Concluding the list with another Infinite song! I just really liked their discography when they were trying to establish themselves. BTD and Paradise are some of my faves as well, but Naekkohaja is iconic. The song was incredibly well-composed (Sweetune is amazing) and I loved the styling and dance which just made the whole era perfect for them to explode in popularity. 

There are many many MANY more songs I really like from 2nd gen groups, but these are my top favourites which are a 11/10 in my opinion. And there are so many good songs from 3rd gen groups as well. Maybe one day I'll make a list for my favourite songs from 3rd gen.