Thursday 22 October 2020

Drama Reviews - It's Okay To Not Be Okay (2020)

It's Okay To Not Be Okay is about Ko Moon Young, a children's book author with antisocial traits and 2 btoerhs, Moon Gang Tae, a caregiver at a psychiatric hospital and Moon Sang Tae who has autism spectrum disorder, and the journey they undergo together to heal from past traumas. 

I picked this up because everyone has been raving about Ko Moon Young's badassness and Seo Yeji's performance, and I always love a good female lead. And I must say, she did not disappoint. Seo Yeji is very lucky to have scored this role because Ko Moon Young is a one of a kind character who is badass, funny and has significant emotional trials so she got to showcase the full acting spectrum. Consider me one of her newly converted fans. Eagerly looking forward to the rest of her projects. It's not easy for an actress to breakout but I think she was the breakout star of this show. She nailed the emotional scenes, but what surprised me was her comedic timing. I can't count the number of times I literally laughed out loud because Moon Young was cursing or being her obsessive self. And her voice is unique and gorgeous. On a sidenote, Seo Yeji's face is so interesting. Without Ko Moon Young's makeup and excessive outfits, Seo Yeji looks like a total kid. But somehow with the appropriate hairstyle and clothes, she totally transformed into badass Ko Moon Young. 

Kim Soo Hyun also did not disappoint. I've watched almost all his dramas (Dream High, MoonSun YWCFTS, The Producers) because he often picks good shows with varying characters, which I really appreciate. And Oh Jung Se as Moon Sang Tae - so so good. He really transformed in this show and I was not expecting Sang Tae to have such a significant role. The bond that he and Moon Young built together was SO cute and unexpectedly one of my favourite relationships in the show. Their constant bickering was just hilarious. Another shoutout to Kim Mi Kyung for once again being best mum. 

The show was clearly character driven rather than plot driven, with the whole Moon Young's mother reveal being a bit lame. But it was okay, because the show effectively made us root for the characters so the growth and journey the characters underwent was the most important thing and in that aspect, the show succeeded exceedingly. I really liked how the last 2 episodes were not rushed at all, but had sufficient time to show our trio finally enjoying themselves on their little camping trip, and Sang Tae being able to go on his own independent way.  

I loved the cinematography and transitions that were more prominent at the start that really gave the show a unique tone, but sadly it got less common as the show went on. One particular scene I remember is Sang Tae running to Moon Young's fan signing - such a prettily shot scene.

Lastly, I must give praise to the OST. So many wonderful songs, with my favourites being Janett Suh's In Silence (that sad song), Elaine's Wake Up (with the iconic Saranghae, Gang Tae ssi scene) and Lee Su Hyun's In Your Time. 

It's not perfect, but in a year where so many terrible things have happened and everyone is struggling, it's a lovely show to watch and gain some warmth from the healing our characters go through. Now I want to watch all of Seo Ye Ji's past works.