Wednesday 10 January 2018

Drama Reviews - Because This Is My First Life (2017)


Because This Is My First Life is a romantic comedy about a writer, Yoon Jiho (Jung Somin) who gets into a contract marriage with Nam Sehee (Lee Minki), as she needs a roof over her head and he needs the rent money for his house loan. Jiho has 2 best friends - Woo Sooji (Esom) who works in a big company and prefers one night stands over a relationship, and Yang Horang (Kim Gaeun) who just dreams to marry her long term boyfriend.

So many people raved over it, so it was one of the few 2017 dramas I decided to watch. Not because I don't want to watch more, but because I simply have no time!


The lead couple was so adorable and perfectly matched. Loved Sehee's awkward stoniness and Jiho's bright but lowkey petty ways haha. I kind of understood why Jiho wanted to break the contract marriage, but I don't understand why she couldn't just have said her reasons why to Sehee and spare him (and us) the unnecessary angst. The 2 actors did great with their characters. Have watched both in other productions before so I'm not surprised. And gotta say, Jung Somin is freaking pretty in a doll-like way. Her features are just perfect.
Also special shout out to Jiho's mum, who was a lovely character. That wedding scene and Jiho's reaction....just thinking about it makes me teary. No matter how much mums and daughters fight and quarrel, a mum's love for her daughter is unconditional (....usually, haha) and they sacrifice SO MUCH. It reminded me of my own sister's wedding, where she didn't plan her thank you speeches, said the word "Mummy..." then started bawling.
I also liked that Sehee's ex is now a successful woman in her own right, and is a rational, independent lady that is able to move on from her past. Yay to no clingy ex-lovers!


My favourite character would have to be Sooji by far. I always have a thing for strong, independent female characters and she was that and more. A loyal friend, a capable worker, a female not afraid to own her sexual identity, a filial daughter and an adorable girlfriend to Ma Sang-gu. I loved their relationship, how they would constantly communicate their wishes to each other and respect each other. I liked how she took no shit about his possessiveness romanticised as love, and how he always admitted to his mistakes. One of my favourite scenes in the show was when she absolutely refused to let him into her house and then received a message from someone she saved as 'my love', so he got suspicious and followed her up, only to realise that her love was her mum. Such a great way to subvert expectations, and show how we often jump to wrong conclusions.
Esom was perfect in the character, and I think I should check out more of her works. I remember her in White Christmas but that's it.  


I was less invested in Horang and her boyfriend, Wonseok's story, because I thought both of them were at fault. I can't believe they never discussed marriage despite dating for 7 years. While I think Wonseok was absolutely ridiculous to want Horang to wait another 5 years until she's 35 (she wants kids, and unfortunately, women don't produce eggs forever! Plus the fact that the risk of childbirth increases with age is common knowledge), but Horang didn't help by beating around the bush while being so unhappy.

My biggest problem with the show would be the narration. So much narration, I just couldn't keep track. The metaphors also became increasingly forced, so I think the writing could be improved. I loved how sensitive issues like rape and sexual harassment at the workplace were dealt with though!

In terms of directing, I thought the shots and cinematography were good, but what really stood out was the use of the sounds effects that just made everything funnier. The use of music was pretty good too despite the limited range. Some of the OSTs are really nice!

Overall, worth watching, if only for the friendship of the 3 girls. LOVED them, individually and even more together.