Saturday 1 August 2015

Drama Views - Healer (2014-15)

About a night courier guy, Healer/Seo Jung Hoo (Ji Chang Wook) who receives an assignment from Kim Moon Ho (Yoo Ji Tae) and ends up meeting Chae Young Shin (Park Min Young), leading to the unravelment of a 22 year old secret.

I wasn't planning on watching this but it was so wildly popular that I had to know what made so many people go gaga over it. After watching it, although I didn't love it thaaaaat much, I can see why it garnered so many die hard fans.



Pros:

- The romance. I like how there was no need to have any external influences to keep them apart. The conflict of Jung Hoo being Healer was enough, so that made the romance alot more angst free. And seriously, Ji Chang Wook and Park Min Young look damn good together.

- Every character was painted in mostly shades of grey except Young Shin and the Elder. For example, Moon Ho was culpable of closing his eyes to the truth. I felt alot for Kim Moon Sik, who started off as a young man, slightly jealous of his friend since he loves his friend's wife, but not evil. And once the evil deeds started, due to some choices of a weak man, it just got worse and worse.

- Everyone had such loving families! Every scene with Young Shin and her adoptive dad brought a smile to my face. For once, no abusive dad or mom. I also loved Myung Hee's character (so quietly strong) and am so glad she gets to reunite with her beloved daughter.

Cons:
- I thought the last mission made very little sense. Like why would the Elder even believe Healer was working for him? But I guess in this day, having a coherent story 80% of the time is already a feat with so many dramas imploding.

Favourite scenes:
When Young Shin and Healer decided to infiltrate Kim Eui Chan's declaration of candidacy of Seoul Mayor, and then she took off her trench coat to get everyone's attention. That scene was the one that made me start to have some affection for the show. Mostly because Park Min Young looks gorgeous in that red dress. (The whole show I was pretty annoyed at her awful hairdo. It's cute and suits Young Shin but she's so much prettier with long hair.)


Healer meeting Ahjumma, and the first words she says are 'You poop puppy!' HAHAHA. Kim Mi Kyung did an amazing job with her limited screen time and Ahjumma ended up becoming my favourite character.