Tuesday 31 March 2015

Drama Views: Empress Ki (2013-2014)



I can’t call my ramblings on dramas reviews since I may be biased and I don't write in depth. So they’re just my drama views.

My first one is about Empress Ki, starring my favourite Korean actress Ha Ji Won. The whole drama is about Ki Seung Nyang’s ascent to the throne of the Yuan dynasty, and 4 men pining over her – Goryeo King Wang Yoo (Joo Jin Mo), Yuan Emperor Tahwan (Ji Chang Wook), Yuan advisor Taltal (Jin Yi Han) and evil Tanggise (Kim Jung Hyun). It is 51 episodes long so lots of stuff happen, but they are all very fast paced so there is hardly a boring moment.


Pros:

- All around strong acting. Standouts were Ji Chang Wook and Ha Ji Won for me. HJW because she managed to ground a character that went through so many different phases – from tomboy to vengeful palace maid to tragic-stricken Nyang who lost her baby to vengeful and scheming concubine and then Empress. And Ji Chang Wook was so convincing as that insecure Emperor who would not survive without Seung Nyang. Even though I hated Tahwan at times, Ji Chang Wook’s portrayal was always spot on.



- An awesome female lead in Seung Nyang. I have a thing for strong female leads so I love that Seung Nyang has both brains and brawn. Doesn’t hurt that she has a gorgeous face, courtesy of Ha Ji Won XD

- A super fast paced story that never lost my attention. In fact I marathoned all 51 episodes in about a week, because I just wanted to know what was next.

- TalNyang. I will go down with this ship!!! Jin Yi Han and Ha Ji Won had huge chemistry despite their characters not having a love line. But that’s fine because they were the only 2 smart characters in the show and clearly respected each other. They could have ruled the world together.

 - Beautiful cinematography. The costumes and sets were absolutely gorgeous to look at. This scene in particular took my breath away.


- Amazing OST. So good I bought my first OST CD (and straight from Korea!) My faves are Soyou’s Just Once, Ji Chang Wook’s To The Butterfly and the Empress Ki Main Theme.

Cons:

- The story that went to pot in the last third. I personally enjoyed it until around Ep 45, when Tahwan degraded into drunkenness that came out of nowhere. But really, it went downhill after YeonChul and Danashiri died. They brought in another Empress that was evil, but never developed that character. What a waste.

- On the note of that second Empress, Im Joo Eun’s acting was terribad. I have heard lots of good stuff about her acting so I was surprised to see her awkwardness. Maybe it’s due to the sageuk setting? But since others have raved so much about her, I look forward to watching another show of hers which I hopefully enjoy her in.

- Strange placement of music. That slow ballad song is completely unsuitable for Wang Yoo’s intense fight scenes!!! Ji Chang Wook’s To The Butterfly was also sorely misused.

Favourite scenes:
Episode 27, when Seung Nyang, now a concubine, meets the guy who tried to kill her (to his horror, since he thought she was dead) and she goes 'I still clearly remember how you shot me with that arrow. That arrow changed my life. Now I will change your life.' CHILLS DOWN MY SPINE.

And this scene from Episode 51:
Ha Ji Won/Seung Nyang, why so badass!!!

(credits to respective owners for all images.)