A short 5 day trip to Osaka and Yokohama to attend BoA's The Live concert series. Was lucky enough to snag a tickets to both concerts and VIP for Yokohama! We took ScootPlus both ways since there was a sale, staying 2 nights in Osaka and 2 nights in Yokohama.
Day 1
Headed to the airport at 5am for our Scoot flight to Osaka, and it was a comfy ride on ScootPlus! Landed on time and managed to find our way to the train station for the Kansai Airport Express to Namba Station and Citadines Namba was just 5min away to check in to our super well equipped room.
Then headed to Lawson to get my tickets from the Loppi machine!
It was late afternoon so first order of things was to eat! Headed to Takoyaki at Dotonbori for the mixed platter. Super yummy but it was super hot so I scalded myself.
Then took a train to visit Glitch Coffee at Conrad Osaka. Note that there's a rule of a drink per customer and each costs over 10 bucks for a cup. The barista patiently explained and let us smell the various different beans, and we ordered 2 whites (Colombian bean with lychee notes and Costa Rican bean) and a filter with beans from Panama that was sooo light and fruity. Also got a slice of banana bread which was pretty mediocre. Coffee was definitely worth it.
There's a City Bakery next door but they didn't have much left given that it was quite late.
Next stop was Umeda for all the department stores to get fancy snacks! We visited a bunch including Hanshin and Hankyu and managed to get biscuits, chocolates and baked tiramisus.
For dinner, we headed to Lucia Food Hall for Unagi Kushiyaki Izumo because I LOVE unagi. Like I literally eat it every week when in Sg. This place is pops for their humongous unagi tamago rice bowl. We got half rice and it was still humongous! Also got the unagi beef don some skewers and veg. The food lived up to the hype - legit plumpest unagi I've ever seen.
Day 2
Started early with breakfast at Marufuku, a traditional cafe which is popular for their pancakes with the logo. They have many outlets but I think this outlet at Dotonbori is the original. Everything looked so enticing so we ended up getting the pancakes, french toast and egg sando. Pancakes weren't the fluffiest - purely ordered for aesthetics haha. French toast and sando were yummy though!
Since it was early, decided to quickly get shots with the Glico man without tourists in the background.
Then headed to the Temma area to visit the Tenmangu shrine. I'm not sure if it was closed though since we couldn't seem to visit inside, but I got a souvenir!
Then shopping along Tenjinbashi, the longest shopping street in Japan!
Got some melons from a random fruit store that were so juicy, then stopped by Nissin bakery to get some bread. Chanced upon a long queue for Happy Camper bagels so we had to join. Took about 45min for our turn, and got the choc and fig hazelnut bagels. The choc one was still hot so we had it on the spot and it was soo good. We kept the fig hazelnut one for the next day and it became super tough, even though the flavour was still good.
Final street food stop was Naruto Taiyaki!
It was past noon so I decided to recce Zepp Namba and take photos. I thought it would be like the korean concert with banners everywhere but nooo, there was one single banner. Merch sales started at noon but the popular stuff were sold out by now so there wasn't a queue either.
Since it was early and empty, I had plenty of time to take a million shots. There was a lucky draw table and I just went to look see for fun and by some miracle, my ticket was on the list!! (I didn't realise the list was already posted on twitter heh.)
Headed back to the hotel to freshen up, eat some of the bread we bought before heading out for the concert. So, I was very confused as Zepp Namba charges a 600 yen fee to enter, after we already got a ticket?! And I saw the sign that it comes with a free drink, but at the drinks counter, it seemed like everyone was giving a coin and buying the drink. Took too long to realise that its a token given when entering which I just assumed was part of the change lol, so I fished it out and got a bottle of latte.
The single banner that was outside earlier got moved in but there was a queue. After hanging around outside, I entered the hall around 350pm and the concert started promptly at 4pm.
Ok I have to admit that I'm not super familiar with a lot of BoA's earlier japanese discography so I didn't know the first song. But then it was DO THE MOTION and JAZZCLUB which were bangers, followed by make a secret. And then first ment, where I realised I couldn't understand what she was saying lol. Despite learning Japanese for 1.5 years, I can barely understand it while I can understand Korean much better. The next few songs were long time no see, soundscape and your colour. Then another ment where she talked soooo much, and I heard mention about a typhoon - uh oh. Next was happy birthday, then lalala love song which is SO FUN.
Then it was serious ballads with song with no name (might be my fave perf after moon and sunrise), and finally, the song that made me a fan. And it was specifically the BoAtheLive 2006 performance of moon and sunrise that made me a fan. So to be able to hear this live, on the 20th anni of btl just felt SURREAL. Definitely teared up here. Side note - usually the audience would sit during the ballads. but here we kept standing and my legs were ACHING lol.
More talking, then aint no hard feelings and a medley of fun songs from brand new beat to listen to my heart, valenti then quincy!! This was the 'ending' but of course there would be a encore so we just sat down and chant her name until she comes back out for encore with only one and kiminotonaride which is an odd choice for encore imo. Curtains closed and everyone filed out promptly, which is quite different from the korean concerts where people just refused to leave lol.
Also, the filming policy in Japanese concerts are strict and everyone really adheres to it! Also chatted with the fan on my left who came from Hong Kong! She helped to take some photos at the end, and also warned me about the typhoon in Yokohama.
Took more pictures after the concert then hurried to Namba to join the queue for Fukutaro, a famous place for okonimyaki. Wanted to get a pork okonomiyaki and mixed dotonbori yakisoba. But when the pancake came, it looked suspiciously plain. And I looked at the adjacent table and their okonomiyaki was covered in sauce. So it turns out we were served negiyaki (not sure where the error happened), but the staff kindly agreed to make the okonomiyaki for us...and also leave the negiyaki as service. So that was ALOT of food, because we also got a salad and garlic shrimps as sides.
Next stop was Rikuro cheesecake. There was a queue and it was closed when we arrived so I thought they sold out for the day, but luckily they reopened so I managed to snag one! Less than 10 bucks for an ENTIRE cheesecake is a steal.
And final stop was Lilo kissaten, for some fancy coffee and desserts of tiramisu and grape flavoured affogatto! Cards for specialty coffee are normal but this is the first time I've received a card for the barista who made our coffee lol.
Day 3
Final morning in Osaka! Headed out super early to the Yasaba shrine with the famous lion's head.
Planned to get brekkie at Osaru cafe nearby and it opens at 8am...well we arrived at 805am and it was full so we ended up having to wait 45min -_- Luckily, they're quite efficient so our orders were taken while we were queuing and food arrived quickly after we sat. We got the french toast and breakfast platter as well as 3 drinks as there's a 1 drink per pax rule. Even with that much food, it still worked out to be less than 50 bucks!
Hurried back to the hotel, but couldn't resist stopping by Sakimoto bakery to snag a truffle shio pan, honey toast with butter/red bean and honey croissant. We had them a couple of hours later but everything was still SO good.
Checked out from Citadines and hustled our way to Shin-Osaka station to catch our Shinkansen to Yokohama, passing by Mt Fuji! I specifically booked the seats with the view, but unfortunately the weather was overcast.
Arrived at Yokohama on time, but it was pouring and I gave up on taking the subway since we were with our luggage. I had chosen Hilton Yokohama cos it was between Yokohama station and the Minatomirai area and thus walkable everywhere, but all my best laid plans got thrown out of the window with the thunderstorm.
We took a taxi and arrived around 2pm which is before the check-in time, but our room was ready! Spacious and gorgeous rooms, and the amenities in Japanese hotels are just next level.
I was on twitter to check on merch status, and incidentally realised that the concert is at the national theatre at a corner, not the main pacifico. LUCKILY I saw that, but that also meant the hotel was now further than anticipated. We headed out into the storm to try and recce the place, and got very wet :( This time, the (same) single banner with her face was inside so I couldn't even get pics. And of course, all the popular merch were sold out.
Since there was some time before the concert, decided to head to Uni coffee which was just at the main Pacifico, but we STILL got wet. Order a latte and mocha, a carrot cake and a donut. The food was average, but the coffee was awful, and served in takeaway cups. Would not recommend!
Headed back to the concert hall, and went in through the VIP line for the special merch which was a bottle, an umbrella and a photocard! Funny enough, everyone just formed a semicircle around the banner to take photos and then people would just randomly run in, take photos and run out. Someone asked me to help her take photos so I got some photos in return, though my hair was a complete mess after being in the rain heh.
Then it was time to head into the hall for another 2h of eargasm. My seat was amazing - row 6 and dead center. Though the seats were not sloped so I could only see her upper half of her body before shifting a bit for a small window to see her full frame. Cos even though its a vocals only concert, BoA is BoA and she WILL dance. She was sooo cuute (as usual), and I had a blast. Hundred percent worth it. I also think its great to have the no filming policy cos I could just fully concentrate on her performance and sear it on my retina. This time, she told us to sit down before the serious ballad section and everyone was so grateful haha.
The concert ended at 7pm, so it was time to meet my family who were shopping at Mark IS mall next door. On the way to meet them, I walked past a Disney store so of course I had to go in and buy stuff.
Managed to get to the Minatomirai station and took the metro to Yokohama station and navigated to Yokohama Sky Building without getting wet! Planned to get dinner at Mawashizushi Katsu, a popular sushi conveyor belt place. There was a queue but luckily there were seats for us to wait. We requested for a table and I think we waited about 30min before getting seated. Ordered close to 20 plates but the bill was barely 50 bucks! Incredible value.
Rain had still not let up so it was an ordeal heading back and had to spend ages drying everything lol.
Day 4
Another typhoon day, plus I realised that this was Japan's long weekend! Due to the storm, I had to change up my original itinerary and try to spend as much time as possible indoors.
Didn't want to get wet before breakfast so we called an Uber to Toaster cafe. It was surprisingly crowded on a Mon morning since it was a PH but luckily we didn't have to wait too long. They serve shokupan toasts and you can add a set that also comes with a bread, cereal and drinks buffet. But its 1 main per person, and we definitely can't finish 3 huge shokupans so we got one eggs ben toast, one french toast and an acai bowl. So yummy but soo filling.
Next stop was the Cup Noodles Museum (an indoor activity!), and it was actually like less than 10min by walking, but we got completely drenched along the way. Made a pitstop at a mall to buy some food souvenirs before finally arriving at the museum.
I was legit amazed at how good this museum was. The entry fee is only 500 JPY for the L2 exhibition. They really managed to bring the story of Momofuku Ando (creator of instant noodles/cup noodles) to life in a super fun way.
Also went for the make my own cup noodle experience (another 500 JPY), which was super fun!
Then tried some noodles at the noodle bazaar. We had the signature chicken ramen for 250 JPY, as well as some kazakhstan noodles for 500 JPY that were not bad!
After much dilly-dallying, it was time to head to the next spot and again got completely drenched cos the WIND was insane. My little umbrella was just completely useless. We finally made it to Hammerhead, and rewarded ourselves with a wonderful break at Vanilla Beans which is a chocolate specialty shop. Got a latte, hot choc, choc fondant with ice cream and choc cake. So indulgent, but so good. The hot choc was insanely rich and one of the best I've ever had. Decided to buy some food souvenirs from their store, and they took packaging to the next level by giving my paper bag a RAINCOAT. I was soamused!
Walked around Hammerhead mall to get more food. It was quite devoid of people owing to the rain, which was the one silver lining.
Then headed to the Red Brick Warehouses which was also similarly empty. Managed to get a magnet, and successfully got a piglet keychain thing from the Disney Harvest Market.
It was nearly dinner time by now so called a taxi to Torigin which serves yakitoris. I tried hailing a taxi but there were none and the weather was unforgiving so I just paid the 500 JPY booking fee on Uber lol.
We didn't make a reservation but luckily we got a really a nice seat with the traditional seating and the night view with the ferris wheel at the back. Orderd a bunch of yakitoris, a chicken stew, some steamed rice and a salad. Huuuge spread but so satisfying! Then called another uber back to the hotel to rest after an arduous day.
Day 5
Finally, a SUNNY day to enjoy Yokohama properly!
We checked out early and stored our luggage so we could just stay out the whole day. First stop was City Bakery since we failed to get it in Osaka. It was soo crowded, but luckily managed to get seats and snag the pretzel croissant, as well as a 4 deli plate and a coffee cinnamon roll thing. Really yummy!
Next stop was the Minatomirai area. Got coffee from a small stand called Minato Mirai, and couldn't resist the soft serve too.
Finally, time for some education with a visit to the Nippon Maru training ship and Yokohama Port Museum for some education.
Then headed back to the malls as I saw a Harry Potter store, and went a little cray. Got a hp-themed file cos it came with a book list, a small notepad for my nephew, and a random pull wand and unfortunately, I pulled Fred's wand and I don't like it. But apparently the Weasley twins are my nephew's fave characters haha. While in the queue, I saw the every flavoured beans and trading card packs at the counter and grabbed those too, for no good reason. My card pulls were also absolutely terrible, so I really should stop getting these things.

Since we finally had a good day, we went to the Yokohama harbour area and red brick warehouse to get some nice pics. But what a complete 180 in vibe from the previous day - THRONGS of people everywhere.
Next stop was Chinatown which was also crazy crowded. Got a platter of sheng jian baos from wangfujing, and I was confused as the queue wasn't that long, but then I realised they have like 5 outlets throughout the whole street, each with increasingly long queues lol.
This street was way too crowded for me, so I stepped onto a side street to visit Tsukikoya specialty coffee. Wow, this place takes their coffee SERIOUSLY. I thought glitch was intense with their 10 beans. Tsukikoya had like 30 beans, each with a small flask for testing. I tested a bunch and went with a hot white for coconut peach and iced hand drip for the rum because wow, I was shocked by how pronounced the rum taste was when sampling.
Energised by coffee, we continued to Motomachi shopping street to..shop for bread. Bluff bakery is a famous place uphill from the shopping street and the shelves were mostly empty by then (around 330pm), but we still managed to snag a honey toast, banana bread and carrot cake! Also wanted to get bread from Uchiki pan but they were all sold out.
And for the final dinner, it was Yoshimuraya ramen, the birthplace for iekei style ramen. It's a 10min walk from Yokohama station and lol the queue is deceiving as there's only 12 people in front of the store, but the real queue is at some back alley 3 streets away and there's a minimum of 30 people l in that queue at any point. We reached around 435pm, and got our food around 550pm so it wasn't too bad actually, and very organised. The ordering is vending machine style and I was very stressed as you had to pay in coins and I was trying to google translate what the different buttons meant. I originally ordered a bowl of veg as a side, then i saw ppl's ramen with spinach on top and didn't know the bowl already includes spinach so I ordered another bowl of spinach lol. so we each had a bowl of noodles with extra eggs, rice, and two huge bowls of veg. All that for 30 bucks!!
After filling our bellies, it was shopping time! Nothing much at Takashimaya, so we headed to the Vivre mall for Uniqlo/GU for really cheap tees and socks. There was a Tower Records in that building so ofc i had to look for BoA's albums. They had The Face DVD and Best and Soul album from 2005 (!!) and after much contemplation, I decided to just buy them since it was so much cheaper than Sg that it just felt like a waste if I didn't.
Last stop was Donki for snackssss. I really controlled myself this time. I think the last time I went to Japan, I bought 10 boxes of Pocky. Only got 3 this time! From here, it was a 15min walk back to the hotel to collect our luggage.
In the afternoon, Scoot had notified us that our flight would be delayed by 2h, which meant we would be departing around 430am instead. Luckily I bought insurance and registered for the lounge access beforehand, though I had to contact MSIG and Scoot live chats to update the flight status and get the passes. Since it was late and we were carrying luggage, decided to just get a taxi to Haneda Airport.
There were a couple of options for the lounge passes and we ended up going to the Nodoka lounge at the Haneda Airport Garden as they have shower facilities, a meal and free flow drinks. The meal was meh, but the shower was amazing. They even provide all the amenities and a small towel. Felt so fresh after spending the whole day out. For the seats, you could choose the common area or the premium seats, which was really just a fully reclinable leather seat.
Lounged until 230am before slowly heading to the terminal to check in. Since it was an ungodly hour of 445am, there were so many people just splayed out on the airport chairs lol. Luckily, we were on Scootplus so managed to get some decent rest. They woke us up 2h before landing for our meal. We were quite happy with the meals on the outbound flight but the inbound flight meals were definitely not as good. And that wraps up our short trip to Japan!












































































